Those who know me well or have been reading my blog posts for some time know that I firmly believe success is all in your mindset … your attitude.
Of course, there’s more to becoming successful than just thinking about it, but it’s important to first have the right attitude to help you know what to do and then focus on doing it.
One of the first things you must do in order to be successful is to define what ‘success‘ means to you. Does it mean having a lot of money? Being well-known and recognized within your industry? Being adored and loved or respected by others? Just being happy?
For me, success is achieving my goals … achieving something worthwhile in my life, whether that’s something to do with my family, friends, business, finances, community or even just reaching a personal goal and growing as an individual. In fact, failing at something but still being able to stand up tall and keep moving forward is a sign of success to me.
It’s also important to know what you want your ideal life to be like … how do you want to be living each day? Who do you spend time with? Where do you live? Once you know these things you can plan out how you’re going to achieve these goals and start moving towards them.
When you know what you want and how you can achieve it, this is the part where I believe your mindset really comes into play. To be able to follow the plan you’ve set and achieve your goals for success – your dreams – you need to be able to:
- avoid distractions and remain on track
- remain positive – even if things get a little off-track, as they’re bound to do from time to time
- be able to pick yourself up when you fail
- have patience, especially if things take a little longer than first planned
- avoid listening to people who tell you your goals are silly or you’ll never be able do such-and-such – we ALL have people like that around us, and often they’re just saying these things to protect us from what they see as possible failure
- overcome procrastination
- accept that what you want will change over time … and that’s okay
- face fears and overcome weaknesses that may be holding you back
- have total belief that you CAN achieve your goals
Take a few moments to look back and think about some of your past successes. No doubt you’ll find that the things that helped you to achieve these successes where somehow related to your mindset.